Thursday, January 24, 2008

When life gives you lemons.


OR, as in my case, when your aunt, who's really more like your sister, gives you a really cute wire basket from Crate and Barrel FULL of gorgeous Meyer lemons from the tree in her backyard for Christmas...make frozen lemon juice cubes to use later for cooking!
She gave me so many lemons I couldn't possibly use them all. And I knew I wanted to juice them to use later to melt in sauces, etc. So I went on a search for ice cube trays. And would you believe I could not FIND any? Someone said they might be a summer thing? Whatever the reason, I couldn't find any. But the other day I stopped by the local thrift shop and found two ice cube trays for a quarter each! They were purple...which threw me off for a minute...but then I got over it and realized they weren't going to be on display or anything so what did it matter?
Last night I squeezed all of the lemons into a measuring cup, poured the juice into the ice cube trays and froze them overnight. I'll put them in zipper storage baggies for later use! This makes me so happy...for so many reasons. I love the fact that the lemons were free. I love the fact that they didn't go to waste. I love the fact that I was able to find the tools I needed to do what I wanted to do at the thrift store...for VERY inexpensive.
The only downside to this? Now I need something else to display in the cute wire basket!

No comments: