Friday, January 11, 2008

I got sucked in!



I popped into Target yesterday morning for a few household items and such (and a NOT very frugal latte from Starbuck's...yeah, yeah, I know...but hey, nobody's perfect!) and ended up heading to the toy section to see what I could find for my son's 10th birthday coming up on the 17th. As I rounded the corner I was shocked to see lines of women with carts piled so high with toys that they were toppling off of their carts. My mouth must have dropped open...in disgust and judgment I must admit...at the sheer craziness of what I was witnessing.

Regardless of my opinion of these greedy moms, I proceeded closer. After waiting my turn to get down the aisle I realized that the whole aisle, and the one next to that one, are FULL of clearance toy items. And not just sale prices...I'm talking CLEARANCE prices...for real. 75% off.

Doing my best to keep my composure I began poking around...and steering clear of the other moms who meant business. One by one, I added bargain items to my OWN basket...one after the other after the other.

"Hmmm...isn't Emily's birthday coming up? And what about Averie? And Nathan? Or was it Ben?", I thought to myself. By this time...I'm TRYING to find people to buy for. This could be dangerous.

Before I knew it...my cart was near full. It wasn't toppling over...thanks to my stellar restraint...ahem...but I was *this* close. I got some FUN stuff for my son for his birthday. A few of the fun finds are: a gooey brain experiment kit, an egg drop experiment kit, Air Hogs, and the best one...a $160 projector for $40! (He got a video camera for Christmas and has steadily been making amazing films that only an almost-10-year-old can make. He films them, directs them and then edits them on the computer.) This projector will allow him to show his films BIG on a blank wall. And he can use it for video games, too! He's gonna love it. It was truly a great find.

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

I sheepishly made my way to the checkout...feeling the need to express my apologies to all of the women I judged just 30 short minutes ago. But as the clerk ran each item over the scanner and my tally came up on the register display...all bad feelings melted away knowing that I'd saved 75% on nearly everything in my cart.

Does this justify the splurge on the latte? I like to think so.

photo of sweet grocery cart courtesy of oompa toys

1 comment:

Shari said...

Wow. What good deals. It's great shopping after Christmas. I have 2 kids that needed new coats, but I made them wait until after Christmas because I knew they would be 1/2 price.