Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I love it when dinner extends to lunch.

Last night I made a chicken dish that made enough for my husband and I to have it for lunch, too! I have to admit that I am not one to plan meals. I mean, I think about it...and I peruse the sale ads...and I base my meals on what's on sale. But I don't plan each and every meal down to the condiment for a week...or even scarier...a MONTH?! And I certainly don't do all of that...plus buy what's on sale PLUS use double coupons and rebates. I would love it if I WERE this organized. I would. I am so amazed at the people that can do this. Amazed. But...I'm not that amazing. Not even close. I do what I can, though...

I knew I wanted to make pasta. Number one, it's good. Number two, it's easy. Number three, it's quick! I also knew I had some half and half in the fridge as well as grated Parmesan and frozen peas. Sounds good to me. But I knew my husband and sons would like some meat in that combo. I decided to defrost two boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cube them then saute them in olive oil and fresh garlic. I used the tasty brown bits on the bottom of the pan and some pasta water to make a light sauce. I then added the half and half, the pasta and the cheese and combined and warmed through. While the pasta warmed I made garlic bread, heated the peas and made a simple green salad as sides. It was quite tasty! And I had enough for leftovers for lunch today.

So I figure it cost me roughly $6 for four meals. FOUR! This does not inlcude the cost of milk, which we've been going through like CRAZY lately. Either way...I would say that's pretty frugal!

No comments: