Friday, February 1, 2008

"...and let the flavors marry."

A while back I tried my hand at making lentil soup. It turned out fine. But not delicious like I'd hoped. But since I'd made such a large batch I decided to freeze individual servings for lunch. I didn't want it to go to waste, after all.

Fast forward to today...and a crazy morning of running late, a sick kid, too much to do and not enough food in the house. I left the house with nothing in mind for lunch. And being on a budget...as usual...I dreaded the thought of buying convenience food...again. Then I remembered, "Hey. I think I have one container of lentil soup left in the freezer at the office!" Sure enough, I peeked in the freezer and there it was. I have to admit, I wasn't real excited about it. But, it was sustenance, and healthy sustenance at that, so it would do. To my surprise...and delight...lentil soup gets better with age! Apparently lentil soup is much like spaghetti sauce or anything "the next day" and the flavor improves! Nice.

Now I'm full. And satisfied. And encouraged to do more cooking and freezing! Anyone have any recipes they'd like to share that freeze well? I'm all ears!

No comments: