Tuesday, February 5, 2008

After a week's deliberation...


...and much talking to myself, I had to go back to the thrift shop and purchase this tri-fold mirror. (click on photo to enlarge if you want. I got myself in it a bit, but that's OK) I don't know how old it is, but I do know that I love it. Originally when I bought it I thought it would be cute on an upright dresser. And I have an upright dresser, but there's no room on it because it's full of other really important stuff. Seriously. I mean it. Well, mostly important stuff.
Anyway, I decided that it might look cute on my sideboard in my living room. It's a bit more cluttered than I'd like but it'll do for now. Notice the Christmas bulbs in the nest under the cloche? Yeah. I know it's February. Ahem.
But yeah...the mirror. I love it. And I'm really glad I purchased it. I paid $35 for it...which is a splurge for me. But I went back to the thrift store THREE TIMES to look at it...and I loved it each time...and I thought about it at home...and while I was driving...and while I was washing dishes. And I know myself. When I think about something that much it means that I really do love it and will truly cherish it for many years to come.
This presents a challenge for me because while I like to give myself overnight to think about a purchase...usually one that is not necessary for survival (although I'm sure some of you could provide some very valid arguments as to how certain items are life-giving...I hear you, I do.) such as a mirror, or an area rug (I thought about that one for a WEEK before I finally went back and bought it...to my surprise it was on SALE when I went back to make the purchase! Go me!) this may cause me to miss out on a very good deal on something, say some china plates and a platter that would have been so stinkin' cute on a dining room wall, for instance...yes, when I'm irritated I repeat myself AND I use run-on sentences. But I'm still sad about the plates and platter. I knew I should have grabbed them. It was just really hard to justify the expense because we don't HAVE a formal dining room right now. I'm hoping that changes within the next year, though.
Come on bigger house! I'm ready when you are!

1 comment:

Heart of Wisdom said...

Since you went back three time its a piece you will really enjoy.

I understand. I have the same hard time purchasing anything extra (not necessary) but once in a while we find something that warms our heart and will be a blessing for many years.

Your home decor looks nice. I'd love to see more.

I have a new look at http:///heartofwisdom.com/heartathome