Sunday, February 3, 2008

Just another day at the thrift store.

When I was 19 my friend invited me to go to the flea market with her. Her family went to flea markets often since her dad was in the junk yard business. (I hadn't been to a flea market since I was around eight or so when my dad took me with him to sell his wares. I remember him selling a stained glass lamp shade and being sad about it and walking to the snack bar all by myself to get us some hot dogs. Times have changed haven't they? I wonder if my mom would have let me walk there alone? I wonder if she knew HE let me?) I had nothing better to do, so I went to the flea market with my friend. I was instantly smitten. I still remember what I purchased: a vintage woman's hat, complete with a disintegrating netted veil for $4; an old water cooler jug for $2 and a large mirror for $12 that I still have and display with pride (I'll take pictures later...it's in dire need of some Windex!). That was it. I was a flea market fan.



Since then I've been frequenting flea markets, yard sales and thrift shops...and finding great deals along the way.


So last week I was at our local thrift shop that benefits a women's shelter here in town. They are really organized, have great prices and are super nice. I asked about canning supplies one day and it led to a lengthy conversation with my new canning friend, Francine. Francine works at the thrift shop...and she cans...and she sets stuff aside for me in her trunk for when I come in the next time! How nice is that? She's set aside a dozen quart size canning jars and a large canning pot with a rack for me. I bought it all.



When I was in last week picking up the canning supplies I saw a really cool, old tri-fold mirror. It was marked $35. And worth it. But I had to think on it. Dangerous move in the world of thrift shops. Here today, gone tomorrow. I learned that the hard way last week when I did NOT buy the gorgeous china plates and platter for $6 only to go back the next day specifically to buy it (because it would be SO CUTE on a dining room wall but I don't have a dining room wall so I had a hard time justifying the purchase even though I should have bought the stuff and saved it for when I DO have a dining room. OK. Lesson learned.) and it was gone, gone, gone. And probably hanging on someone else's dining room wall looking totally cute. Dangit. First time, shame on you. Second time, shame on me. So I bought the mirror. And I'm glad I did. If I hadn't, it would be like "the one that got away". Much like the china, dangit.

The white pieces with the red stripe are the size of a small runner and made of linen. I got two of them. And I just love them. I don't have a use for them quite yet. But don't worry, I will.

Also shown is the afghan...I actually purchased this a few weeks back and am just now getting a picture of it!




The best part of it all? I still love these items. No buyer's remorse...not one tiny bit. And THAT is what makes it worth it...right?

1 comment:

Val said...

I just wanted you to know I am still reading your blog. You sound a lot like me. I love to can. I love to go to yard sales, flea markets, and thrift stores. I need to do it more often. I purchased a electric piano one time for 20.00 at a yard sale and sold it on ebay for almost 700.00.
I love to keep the things I love though.