Saturday, February 2, 2008

Give a girl a fig.


I love figs. I haven't always loved figs. As a matter of fact, I didn't eat a fig until I was 25 years old. I rented a tiny little hole in the wall apartment about 7 miles outside of town and there was a fig tree in my driveway. I didn't even know what it was! But I took my grandmother out one day to see my new pad and she about came unglued because I had a fig tree.
"Is that what that is?!" I didn't know. Not to mention it was one of the ugliest trees I'd ever seen.
"Yes! Oh, I love figs! You'll have to pick some for me when they're ripe."
Eventually they ripened. And as promised, I picked some for my grandmother. I even delivered them! And we had a nice visit while eating figs. And I really, really liked them. A lot. Who knew?
Thanks to my grandmother, and my little apartment in the country, I would like to plant a fig tree someday. Our dream is to buy country property...someday. So, when we DO buy country property...someday...I'll be planting a fig tree.
And an orange tree.
And a Meyer lemon tree.
And a plum tree.
And a persimmon tree.
And lots of vegetables.
The gorgeous photo above is from Whole Foods. Go visit!

No comments: