Friday, September 7, 2007

Lunch for $.95? You bet!

This recipe was inspired by Martha Stewarts recipe in her cookbook, Everyday Food, Great Food Fast. I love to use this cookbook as inspiration. As a matter of fact, I use ALL of my cookbooks as inspiration, rarely following a recipe to a tee. It's not because I think my recipes are better...it's more about having ADD and not being able to stay focused that long!

Needing to use what I had on hand due to budget constraints...and since I didn't have bacon, I substituted with Kielbasa. I was also limited on the amount of chicken broth I had...so I lowered the amount of broth and just added more water to equal the 4 cups of liquid the recipe called for. (I actually added more water as it cooked anyway because it got really thick...too thick...so you'll need to watch this as it's simmering.)

One of the really great things about this meal is that it is healthy and fresh. The thyme even came from my own backyard! All of the ingredients are free of additives such as partially hydrogenated oils and MSG...ingredients I try my BEST to steer clear of. I might miss a label here and there...but for the most part, I'm a big label reader.

The cost of the soup is about $3.75. I ladled it into (5) freezer safe plastic containers, each holding a perfect sized lunch serving, and popped them in the freezer after they'd cooled down. I had bought a loaf of day-old Asiago sourdough bread for $.99 that I sliced up, added a pat of butter to, and put into (5) baggies to go with each individual soup serving. Voila...5 days worth of lunch! All you have to do is grab it out of the freezer and go!

Lentil Soup
5 servings

2 Kielbasa, cut into small bite-size pieces
1 large onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/4-inch half-moons
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups organic chicken broth
2 cups water
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions:
In a large soup pot, cook Kielbasa in a small amount of olive oil over medium-low heat until warmed through and slightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add onion and carrots; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add lentils, thyme, broth, vinegar and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cover; cook until lentils are tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
Add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Serve immediately.

No comments: