Monday, September 10, 2007

"Mom, are you trying to kill us?"

My youngest son came into my room, holding our jar of peanut butter high in the air, hollering, "Mom, are you trying to kill us? Read the label!"

Yes. It contains partially hydrogenated oil.

"Good job, son."

Dangit. Why didn't I ever think to check THIS label? Maybe because I've been buying the same brand for years...and because it was the brand my mom bought...and because I pretty much just grab it out of habit? Hmmm..what else do I "just grab out of habit"?

I think this would be worth looking into a bit more...

And now...the hunt for a natural, good tasting peanut butter. These two requirements don't naturally go hand in hand. At least I've never found a natural peanut butter that tasted good, too.

I'll let you know what I find!

3 comments:

Being Mrs Miles said...

Hi, found your site thru the CWO blogring...

It must be SO HARD to have to avoid peanut anything... my heart goes out to you. You know, I wish I could find where I recently read an article where scientists are working on taking some genetic component out of peanuts, so they could produce some w/o the part that affects people react?

Barb D
www.lalalime.blogspot.com

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Real Life Sarah said...

Try natural almond butter or cashew butter. They are awesome! I like Smuckers Natural Peanut butter, and you can find it on sale a lot.