Wednesday, November 21, 2007

What's in your freezer?

Being on a budget, and that budget sometimes being tighter than others, I am always trying to figure out more ways to stretch our continually shrinking dollar. Last night's dinner is a good example. I had no idea what I was going to make. I am so envious of those women who plan a weeks meals using sale items, coupons, freebies, and what's on their shelves to create delicious meals for pennies. For whatever reason, I just haven't been able to get it together enough to DO it. But, once in a while, I get lucky.
So dinner time was drawing near, and I still had no idea what I'd make. I took a peek in the freezer and realized I had two boneless, skinless chicken breasts left in the package. Hmm. How can I feed four people with two chicken breasts? Why of course. Soup.

I placed the chicken in a pot full of water with some garlic cloves, celery leaves, a bay leaf and salt and pepper corns. I also added a beef bone I'd kept from the chuck roast I'd made. It still had a bit of meat on it and I didn't want to waste it. At the time I saved it I had no idea what it would be good for. But it turned out to be perfect for the chicken soup. It didn't give it a beefy flavor. But it did make the broth much richer. It was really good.
Once the broth was ready, about 40 minutes later, I strained it and let it sit while I chopped some carrots, celery and onion. I sauteed them in some olive oil while I chopped up the chicken and removed the bit of beef from the bone. Once the vegetables were tender I added all of the broth, salt and a bay leaf, Italian seasoning and the meat. I let it simmer for about 40 minutes. About 15 minutes before serving I added a handful of Yemina. a handful of rice and a handful of frozen peas. (As you can see, I am not concerned with precise measurements. I think this is why baking and I don't get along so great. Baking can be so finicky!)

There are several reasons why I loved this meal:
One: I love chicken soup. Especially when it's cold, which it is here, finally.
Two: Not only did it feed us dinner, it also fed ME lunch.
Three: It was fresh and healthy...good for the body and the soul.

And it cannot go without mentioning, this meal was also quite frugal: Chicken; $2.00, vegetables; $1.00, Yemina: $.10, rice; $.10. Total for the chicken soup: $3.20. I served it with some sliced french bread I'd purchased at the Dollar Tree. This loaf lasted 3 meals! I served it with two pasta dinners and then the soup. So if I tally that along with the cost of the soup to get a Grand Total for the price of the dinner...$3.53! To feed a family of four! I love it.


No comments: