Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What's in the Crock Pot?

I love my Crock Pot. I love the fact that I can throw some ingredients into it, go about my busy day, knowing all the while that I've got a healthy, warm, delicious meal cooking for my family. I can rest assured knowing that there will be no rushing around at dinner time. There will be no last minute realization that I don't have all of the ingredients I thought I did to make the meal I thought I could make. There will be no "fend for yourself night" again. But there will be a meal that is 90% ready to go! Just add cornbread and a salad, if you wish, and enjoy!

Thanks to my dear friend, Sandra, I have a delicious recipe for Award-Winning Chili I'd like to share with you. She titled it Crock-Pot Chili originally. But then she won an award for it at our church chili cook off so we've dubbed it, Award-Winning Chili!

And now...for the recipe. (Man I sure can talk a lot!)

Award-Winning Chili

1 lb. stew meat cut into small bite-size pieces
1 medium onion - chopped
1 t. salt
2 T chili powder
2 cloves garlic - minced
1 bay leaf
1 t. Worcestshire sauce
1 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. cumin
16 oz. can tomato sauce
1 can kidney beans - drained
1 can pinto beans - drained

Directions: In a skillet, lightly brown the meat. (I usually season the meat separately, as well as adding the seasonings to the chili mixture...it adds a ton of flavor) While meat is browning, place all ingredients into the Crock Pot. Add meat and stir to combine. Cook on Low for 2-6 hours...the longer the better. (The best batch we ever made was slow-cooked for 8 hours and it was delicious!) Remove bay leaf and serve. It's great garnished with sour cream and/or shredded cheese. Makes 6 servings.

Not only is this meal delicious...it can also be Frugal Friendly. If all items are purchased on sale this meal can be made for under $5!

No comments: