Sunday, November 18, 2007

Two meals in one...

A friend of ours lives on 5 acres and raises his own cattle for beef. It turns out that he wanted to trade my husband a 1/4 side of beef for a tool that my husband no longer had use for. This sounded great, except for the fact that we wouldn't have anywhere to store it. When I told him this he said, "Well, how about I give you a freezer to store it in?" Really? Sure! We've been wanting a freezer for the garage for a while now. What a blessing...patience paid off.

So, as a good faith offering, he gave us a Chuck Roast the other day. I seasoned it with salt, pepper and garlic powder then seared it on all sides in a little bit of butter and olive oil. While it was searing I peeled some potatoes and carrots and put them in the bottom of the Crock pot. I added a bit of water and some salt then layered the roast right on top of it all. I let it cook all day, about 9 hours, on low. I served it with corn bread and some petite peas. It was delicious. I could get spoiled by truly fresh beef.

The best part is that there was quite a bit of all of it left over. So we had the corn bread for breakfast this morning and tomorrow I will turn the meat, potatoes and peas into a stew. And I guess if you include the cornbread for breakfast it makes 3 meals! Not bad.

No comments: