Wednesday, April 9, 2008

"thinking on" poetry...

The other day I received a sweet comment from a new blog friend, Laure over at Selah.... So I went to her blog to check her out! I was intrigued because of the name of her blog, Selah. It's biblical, and means "think on these things" or "ponder on these things". You see it in the Psalms quite a bit. Well...she enjoys poetry (not to mention, photography!), too...and writes some herself. Today I checked in at her blog and she'd written about a form of poetry I'd never heard of...a Lune. It's similar to a haiku but rather than 5-7-5 syllables, it consists of 3-5-3 syllables.

For example:
the whispers
heard deep in my heart
are pure love
Now, I have to say, the Lune is a bit trickier than the haiku. I thought it would be easier because there are fewer syllables. But really, it's a bit more of a challenge because there are fewer syllables! You have to really choose your words carefully to convey a thought or paint a picture for the reader.
Try one! See what you can come up with! And check out Selah...she explains the Lune way better than I did!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many thanks, Michelle!!! Me thinks you are a Lunist! LOL Know that you are in good company new friend!!!