Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Butcher, The Baker, The Candlestick Maker...

Well, just the Baker, really. Today is the day I've set aside to stay in my jammies and bake, bake, bake. I'm going to make the Carrot Cupcakes with Orange Icing I spoke of the other day, Sugar Cookies using my Aunt Lisa's recipe and these shortbread cookies . They will be snowflake shaped instead of heart shaped, though. Now I'm wishing I'd bought those cute scalloped circle cookie cutters at Home Goods a few weeks ago. I talked myself out of them, figuring I didn't bake enough to justify the purchase. But now I'm realizing that items such as cookie cutters aren't purchased based on how often they will be used but rather how useful they will be when they ARE used. And I could really use them today!

Hmm...dare I go now and see if they're still there? What am I? Crazy? Home Goods on the Sunday before Christmas? Snowflakes it is.

Baking isn't really my favorite thing to do. At least it didn't used to be. I've always been partial to savory cooking because I can be more creative with the ingredients. Baking always seem so precise. And I am not a precise kind of gal. At least not in my cooking. I like a little freedom. But I found some recipes that are fairly simple and straight forward. Not to mention the accumulation of great baking tools to make the job easier. Right up my alley as far as baking is concerend.

Uh oh. Phone's ringin'...brb.

(*: Chris' dad's fiance just called saying they needed to come by to drop off a shirt for Seth to wear in their wedding that is taking place next Saturday. "Um. We're in our jammies and we're all stuffed up and sniffly. The house is a disaster and I don't plan on doing anything about it. But you're more than welcome to stop by!" They decided that it can wait until Christmas when they join us at my mom's. Phew!)

Anyway. It's almost noon and I haven't started any baking. I DID, however, go to the grocery store at 7:15 this morning. I was determined to beat the crowd. And I did. The checker charged me almost $12 for a small bag of mushrooms! Apparently she weighed the bananas but entered the mushroom price. Yikes. Glad I caught it. I mean, the mushrooms WERE really white and nice and fresh and everything. But not worth $12. Sorry.

OK. Off to bake. And switch out the laundry. And clean up the kitchen. And relax? I thought I dubbed this a "lazy day"? Oh well. At least I'm still in my pj's!

No comments: