Monday, December 10, 2007

Frugal Foodie gifts: Carrot Cupcakes

Safeway has their 5 lb. bags of carrots on sale (until Tuesday), "Buy One, Get One Free" so I went ahead and picked up a couple of bags. I found a simple recipe for Carrot Cupcakes with Orange Icing at epicurious.com. I tried the recipe last night and it was delicious! My husband said the icing was a bit "too orange-y" but the kids and I loved it. I think it will be wonderful as gifts for friends and neighbors at Christmas, baked in those cute star-shaped, disposable muffin tins by Reynold's. I may even make them in the next week and then freeze them, uniced, until closer to Christmas. They'll be perfect for the holidays. Place 3-4 of the carrot cupcakes on a festive plate or tray, wrap with cellophane and a pretty ribbon, embellish with a pretty snowflake ornament (10-12 in a pack at the Dollar Store) and you've got a beautiful gift!

No comments: